“This morning, during a Q&A session at the MoffettNathanson Media & Communications Summit, Disney CEO Bob Iger confirmed that the next Star Wars films released will come from Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.
- While it was announced in February 2018 that Benioff and Weiss were developing a Star Wars film trilogy, last week’s Disney release slate reveal left it unclear whether the movie arriving in 2022 would be those penned by the duo or by The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson.
- Well, just in time for this Sunday’s Game of Thrones finale, Iger confirmed that the first film of the Benioff/Weiss series would be the next to be released.
- This would suggest that the two follow-ups would take slots in 2024 and 2026, although Iger didn’t go so far as to confirm that. […]
What they’re saying:
- Disney CEO Bob Iger on the Star Wars “hiatus”: “The conclusion that we reached was that three years was the proper amount of time to not only take a breather and reset but to really gear up for the next film’s release.”
- Iger on the Benioff/Weiss film: “We did a deal with David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, who are famous for Game of Thrones, and the next movie we release will be theirs — and we’re not saying anything more about that.””