“It’s the 20th anniversary of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, and StarWars.com is celebrating with the next best thing to a colorful parade in Theed! We’ve collected some of our favorite quotes from the film, which we still use today. Some contain wisdom from the incomparable Qui-Gon Jinn, some are winks at the original trilogy, while still others are just plain fun to say.
Here are our picks for 20 standout quotes from The Phantom Menace.
1. “But Master Yoda said I should be mindful of the future.”
“Not at the expense of the moment.” – Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn
Qui-Gon’s calm teachings aren’t just for trade negotiations. His explanation of mindfulness is useful for anyone feeling nervous or anxious about what the future holds, not just his young Padawan.
2. “My Lord, is that legal?”
“I will make it legal.” – Nute Gunray and Darth Sidious
This early quote from Darth Sidious lets us know exactly who he is without having to say who he is. Endlessly scheming and always one step ahead of everyone else, you can’t help but admire Palpatine’s cunning as he plays the long game.
3. “You were right about one thing, Master. The negotiations were short.” – Obi-Wan Kenobi
A little bit of Obi-Wan’s mischievous side comes out in this quote. Not only does it highlight his youthfulness on his last mission as a Padawan, it also reminds us of his sense of humor, which we get to see in bits and pieces later. “Hello there!”
4. “A communications disruption could mean only one thing. Invasion.” – Sio Bibble
While little more than an ominous warning, this quote uttered in the Queen’s throne room stands out as it was featured in the first few moments of the popular trailer.
5. “The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.” – Qui-Gon Jinn
Qui-Gon isn’t quite sure what to make of Jar Jar Binks when he meets the excitable Gungan, and this memorable line is a bit of a snub (even if it is also a fact).
6. “How rude. “ – Jar Jar Binks
This isn’t just a quote, it’s one of Jar Jar’s favorite things to say! It echoes C-3PO in Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back and reminds us that the hapless Jar Jar has feelings, too.
7. “There’s always a bigger fish.” – Qui-Gon Jinn
Like so many utterances from the Jedi Master, this quote has more meaning the more time you spend thinking about it.
8. “Are you an angel?” – Anakin Skywalker
Anakin, who doesn’t know much about the galaxy beyond the sands of Tatooine, innocently poses this question to his future wife the first time they meet. His first words to Padmé are almost unbearably sweet.
9. “What do you think, you’re some kind of Jedi, waving your hand around like that?” – Watto
This line almost always gets a laugh! The look on Qui-Gon’s face after Watto dismisses him with this comment is priceless.
10. “I can assure you they will never get me on one of those dreadful starships.” – C-3PO
This tongue-in-cheek joke is so ironic that you almost can’t resist groaning. Like Jar Jar, Threepio often finds himself right in the middle of where he doesn’t want to be, but he ends up playing an invaluable role. […]
Read more at StarWars.com.